October 2016

Colan Parish Council Meeting

Wednesday 26th October 2016

 

Those present: Derek Luscombe, Kath Waters, Maurice O’Gara. Roger March, Pat Lambshead, Brian Killingback, Jane Coombs,  Andy Ormshaw,  Clerk – Di Willett

Derek Luscombe was in the chair.

  1. Police Report:

The Police report is attached to these minutes.A total of 11 crimes were committed in the Parish during the period 26/9/16 – 25/10/16.There was also advice regarding contacting Devon & Cornwall Police in a non emergency situation – Clerk to put this in the noticeboard.

 

  1.  Public Speaking:

Two ladies from the Colan Fundraising Committee requested some advice regarding the Village Hall – they were directed towards Bob Scott who agreed to address their concerns outside the meeting.

 

Kerry Martin spoke regarding a planning application - the Parish Council submitted their approval last month.

 

  1. Cornwall Councillors Report:

John sent his apologies this month, but has sent a written report to be read at the meeting:

Work on the Trencreek crossing will take place as planned at the end of the month.

There is to be a fresh application for the undeveloped land on the Fort down site. Mr Eustice has been advised that they will have to provide a bus pull in on West Road. Application will come to the Parish Council when they have finished the pre app.

I am still trying to resolve the issue of the gateway into the field that has been created at the Village.

I have been assured by Rachel Tatlow that the over growing of grass etc, on the tarmac of the footpath on north road is to be addressed, it is in the work load sheet, whatever that means.  The application for Sunny side is now expected to go to the Mid Cornwall Planning Committee, it may make the December meeting. I have not yet been advised what the recommendation from the Officer will be. You will be aware of objections regarding the use of the bridle way to access the development.

I believe the planning department is still trying to get their head around whether this is a planning issue or a private matter between the commoners and the applicant.

I have been made aware of an objection to the application that you considered last month- The objector lives very near the development which is off North Road. I understand that she may well have not brought her concerns to you in time.

The meeting went off okay at Kestle Mill. The Bridle Highway Officer will email the parties who live on the Bridle Path at that end and have made the complaint.

 

  1. Declaration of Interest:

Will be declared under the appropriate agenda item.

 

  1. Apologies:

Steve Lean, Louis Gardner, John Fitter

 

  1. Minutes of previous meeting

The previous minutes were signed as a true record of events by Derek, following approval by all Councillors

 

  1. Matters Arising:

John Fitter has informed us that the footpath from Gypsy Corner into Newquay will be cut back hopefully before the winter.

 

The footpath near the Morrisons roundabout which does not join up with the Persimmon development footpath was considered to be a highways responsibility by the developers. We have had no response from Persimmon – Clerk to check with John Fitter and Derek to provide some measurements so that we can take this further.If John has had no luck, then Clerk to write to Persimmon on behalf of the Council.

 

  1. Accounts:

Litter Bins - £271.00 + VAT – all agreed to pay this to the clerk who will order the bins using her credit card.

NMS – strimming the new play area - £120.00 – All approved.

CWC – Weedkilling throughout the Parish  -  £300.00 + VAT – All agreed to pay, however there has been a complaint about the weeds on Vyvyan Drive/Willow Close  - to be discussed at the next meeting.

 

  1. Planning Applications

PA16/09050 – Demolition of Garage and new extension, 7 North Way - Supported by all.

 

  1. Recreation Field and Grass Cutting:

The last cut was the end of October – although it is quite untidy, it is now being cut regularly.

 

New Play Area – there is not much bark left under the bucket swing.  Agenda item for next month – possibly look to replacing it in the Spring.

 

  1. Purchase of Land – 30 North Way:

We have received a request from a resident on North Way regarding buying a section of the recreation field behind their property.  The resident was under the impression that other property owners have been allowed to do this in the past.  This was discussed fully, no-one on the Council could remember selling parcels of land to the house owners and we concluded that the council would not consider selling any part of the recreation field.  Clerk to respond to the resident.

 

  1. Play Park, Vyvan Drive

Despite chasing Ideal Homes, the Clerk has received no response.  Clerk to write to CALC to find out the legal position and see if we can take this on any other way.  No response from CALC – Clerk to chase again.

 

  1. Litter Bins:

Emptying costs for litter bins is £185.00 per site, per year.  Clerk requested an address where the new bins could be could be delivered – Bob Scott agreed to receive them as he is going to fit them for us.  Clerk to order as soon as possible.

 

  1. Parish Council Noticeboard:

Update to be given at the next meeting.

 

  1. Allotments

A letter has been received from the Chairman of the Allotments association requesting funds for fencing and a gate to access the allotment from the railway end.

After much discussion the Councillors agreed that the site would probably be more secure if it was left open, as a fence would hide any trespassers.The Council agreed that they may be able to fund the installation of a gate and clerk to request quotes from Phil Richards.

 

Phil also requested a sign be installed at the vehicular entrance to warn of a concealed entrance – Clerk will contact John Fitter as this will have to be approved by the highways department.

 

  1. Website:

No update this time.

 

  1. Nature Walk through the downs:

Kath heard the some walkers would like to have a footpath through the Downs – however this land is registered to Sunnyside and commoners’ rights have been lost over the years.This would also incur costs for maintenance.After much discussion it was decided unanimously that it would not be possible for us to instigate a nature walk.

 

  1. Christmas Tree:

Kath has been offered a Christmas Tree for the village, which will be put up and provided free of charge.

Bob responded that the Village Hall Committee have already accepted an offer of a tree from elsewhere.

 

  1. Letter/Notices

Bus Shelter Maintenance:

Letter received regarding the number of bus shelters maintained by the Parish – all agreed that the information is correct and no further response is required.

 

Boundary Changes:

No response

 

Learning Hub :

No one expressed an interest at this time.

 

Chris Haynes, QAG:

Email received and read to the meeting.Clerk to respond that the Parish Council is well aware of the Neighbourhood Plan.The other matter regarding marketing of the Nansledan Estate should be taken up with the Duchy of Cornwall as this is their development.

 

  1. Any Other Business:

Maurice stated that the hedge adjacent to the footpath between the railway line and Gypsy Corner is now growing too high and is preventing the light from the streetlights illuminating the path.  Clerk to contact John Fitter to see if he can arrange for it to be trimmed.

 

The speed of the traffic entering the Quintrell Downs via Gypsy Corner is causing some concern – clerk will ask John if the speed limit can be enforced to remind drivers that they are entering a 30mph zone.

 

Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held on 30th November 2016 at 7.30pm.  The Clerk sends her apologies, but she will be away for the next meeting – Kath agreed to take the minutes in her absence.

 

Di Willett  08/11/16

November 2016

Colan Parish Council Meeting

Wednesday 30th November 2016

 

Those present: Derek Luscombe, Kath Waters, Roger March, Pat Lambshead, Brian Killingback, Jane Coombs,  Andy Ormshaw,  Steve Lean, Louis Gardner, Helen Curgenven, John Fitter

Derek Luscombe was in the chair.

Kath Waters took the minutes in the absence of the Clerk, Di Willett

  1. Police Report:

The police report was received after the meeting and will be presented at the next meeting.

 

  1.  Public Speaking:

Holly Nicholls presented a Pre Application on behalf of Fortdown.  It was proposed that they omit the Hydrotherapy and retail units and replace with 140 residential – 20 of which would be apartments. There has been no interest in the Hydrotherapy unit or retail shops.

A discussion about the access was cut short as Derek said we are no longer able to give specific answers or opinions as  we need to add this to our Agenda for further discussion, as per the new government guidelines.

 

  1. Cornwall Councillors Report:

John said the path along William Hosking way would be done before Christmas.  Sunnyside was still being deliberated as the negotiations on the affordable contribution continue.

The Duchy School at Nansleddan is still going to open it’s doors September 2018.  It will be a two form entry free school run by the Aspire Academy (who already successfully runs St Mawgan and Summercourt Schools).

George Hautot going to committee 8th December. There are no plan changes, except he will enter the site from Duchy land and build from that way in, however he will still exit onto Trevenson Meadows. John cannot support this.

The  breach in The Village Hedge – Kier to apply for planning.

Figgy Rd is not adopted.

The traffic calming measures to be put in place on East road is still on and will be done in MARCH 2017.

 

  1. Declaration of Interest:

None

 

  1. Apologies:

Maurice – due to ill health and the Clerk- Di Willett.

 

  1. Minutes of previous meeting

The previous minutes were signed as a true record of events by Derek, following approval by all Councillors

 

  1. Matters Arising:

The footpath from The Kings Head was being looked into by cc and they are prepared to do it.

The Bus shelter roof needs replacing and Derek will get quotes.

The Footpath on the Downs- the owners think it is a great idea and are very pleased to make a footpath and cycle path through it, thus lessening walkers on the bridle way. This is beneficial to all parishioners.

 

  1. Accounts:

Village Hall rental - £87.00 – approved by all

Cormac -  Recreation Field grass cutting - £470.00 – approved by all.

 

 

  1. Precept

 A precept of £12000.00 has been proposed as we may need an election of Councillors at a cost of £3000.00.  Andy stated that it was unlikely that 12 people would come forward thus forcing an election and a 50% increase was hard to justify.  Pat proposed that the precept requested should be £9600.00.  Seconded by Andy and supported by all.

 

Clerks Salary – All supported an increase to £2400.00.

 

  1. Planning Applications

PA16/09940     Object  - Not suitable for area.  Agreed by all

PA16/09078      Object - Sporadic development in the countryside.  – agreed by all

PA16/10022    Supported – unanimously agreed.

 

  1. Planning  Protocol

We as a parish council are not allowed to express an opinion on any Pre Application brought before us.

 

  1. Recreation Field and Grass Cutting

Some of the trees planted last year have disappeared near the football field side.

 

 

  1. Weeds –Vyvyan Drive

All weeds are have now died.  We all agreed to continue with the spraying programme as it seems to be working.

 

  1. Play Park, Vyvan Drive

Following some advice from CALC, it seems that we can take over ownership after twelve continuous years of use, taking out insurance against the owners returning.  This sounds promising – Clerk to ask Ralph & Co for their opinion.

 

  1. Litter Bins:

Bob Scott reported that they are all up and running – thanks to Bob for installing these for us. . Clerk to arrange bin emptying.

 

  1. Parish Council Noticeboard:

Update to be given at the next meeting.

 

  1. Allotments

All set out and several tenants have started work on their plots.There are 9 empty ones which may be offered out of the Parish if no-one else comes forward.There is a meeting on Monday with the Duchy to arrange for connection of the water and the laying of hard core in the car park.

 

  1. Website:

No update this time.

 

  1. Letter/Notices

Sports direct informed us of their intention to put two retail units by Kings Head.

Cycle Great Britain – we support first two segments of statement.

Bus Route Qunitrell Downs to Treloggan. John Fitter says that the local bus company is looking into this problem and knows that the service is needed.

106- funding - should we have a discussion and if so put on the Agenda. Louis proposed we do and we were all in favour for the January Agenda.

 

  1. Any Other Business:

None

 

Next Meeting:

As the next meeting falls within Christmas week, it was agreed that we will miss the December meeting.  The next meeting will therefore be on Wednesday, 25th January 2017 at 7.30pm.

 

Notes taken by Kath Waters and typed by Di Willett 14/12/16

December 2016

NO COUNCIL MEETING

© CPC by Curgenven. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Twitter Classic
  • c-facebook