JULY 2017   No Council Meeting

AUGUST 2017

Colan Parish Council Meeting

Wednesday 30th August

 

Those present: Derek Luscombe, Kathy Waters,  Maurice O’Gara, Brian Killingback,  Jane Coombs, Andy Ormshaw, John Fitter, Clerk – Di Willett

Derek Luscombe was in the chair.

  1. Police Report:

None received this month –Clerk to chase for next month.

 

  1. Public Speaking:

None

 

  1. Cornwall Councillors Report:

John has spoken to Mark Ball of Persimmon Homes regarding the application for the variation in conditions - it is nothing of any great significance. He also spoke about the missing pavement at the Kings Head which is their responsibility as is the crossing.He will continue to chase them to do this.

Duchy of Cornwall School will not now open until September 2019 as they do not have confidence in receiving the grant from central government – however Tim Grey has confirmed that it will definitely open in 2019.

The consultation is on ongoing regarding the road going passed the cemetery to the new Rialton Link Road; the current thought is that it will become one way from Henver road to the link road.

The road has finally been resurfaced at Whiteacres and the white lines have been extended.The “SLOW” sign at Treloy has been replaced.

John has been assured that the grass will be cut from Gypsy Corner to Nansledan and also along the link road by the end of this week.

The planning enquiry against Fortdown has commenced and the appeal against Sunnyside has been submitted.

Brian stated that the verges on the road from Morrisons roundabout to Trevemper need cutting as well as Lane crossroads.John will convey this information to Rachel Tatlow.

John has a meeting on Monday following the Boardmasters event – several traffic problems all through the event - he has asked Colan Parish Council to submit a report to Cornwall Council in preparation for the wash up meeting in October.

 

  1. Declaration of Interest:

None.

 

  1. Apologies:

Pat, Helen, Louis and Steve due to personal commitments

 

  1. Minutes of previous meeting

The previous minutes were signed as a true record of events by Derek, following approval by all Councillors.

 

  1. Matters Arising:

 

  1. Planning Applications:

PA17/07224 – Persimmon Site,  minor amendments – Supported by all.

PA17/07765 – Willow Close,  House extension – Supported by all.

PA17/06395 – West Point, demolition of cottage and building of two dwellings – Supported by all

PA17/07092 – Treffry Tavern Signage – Supported by all.

8a. Boardmasters Aftermath:

Although Colan Parish Council supports the idea of this event it was not properly managed.  The festival is here to stay, but there must be some restriction on numbers and the whole management of the event should be improved. There has been some positive response, however it was felt that the event is growing too rapidly and the organisers are not addressing problems when they arise.  Councillors were asked to make some notes on their opinions so that the Parish Council can submit a report to Cornwall Council as requested by John.

 

  1. Defibrillator:

Permission has been received from The Village Hall Committee to site the defibrillator on the Village hall wall.The defibrillator is currently being assembled and Norman will contact us when they are ready to install it.

 

  1. Accounts

Complete Weed Control – Invoice for last year’s work which was not received at the time - £300.00 + VAT – All agreed that this should be paid.

Cormac Solutions – Recreation Field grass cutting - £431.58 + VAT – Approved by all.

 

There were two account received during July which were paid upon approval by the Chairman:

NMS – regular payment for cutting and strimming in the fenced area - £120.00

Take-a-fence – payment previously agreed by the Council for the fence around the allotments -£2098.00 + VAT.

 

  1. Recreation Field/Hedge cutting/ Grass Cutting.

Maurice reported that the play tubes on the recreation field were being rolled around the field as they are no longer fixed in place.  Derek will investigate and ask Bob Scott to fix them permanently in place.  All agreed to this solution.

The metalwork on the climbing fort is going rusty – Derek agreed to get quotes to refurbish these.

 Some of the benches require attention – Derek also agreed to get some quotes to look at and maintain these benches.

The work to the entrance to the recreation field will start in October as the funding has now been approved.  Clerk to find out how we actually get this money from Grantscape.

Derek agreed to trim up the brambles which are growing out on to the pathway.

 

  1. Noticeboards

The cork is coming away from the noticeboard in places – Derek agreed to stick this back in place.

 

  1. Allotments

The Clerk has contacted CALC regarding the purchase of equipment on behalf of the Allotment Association. CALC have responded that legally we are unable to do this.

 

  1. Action Group for Community Funds:

The Chairman reported that we need to spend this Community Money and requested that each Councillor think of an idea as to how we can help the Parishioners by using some of this funding.

 

  1. Pavement outside Hutton Hire:

There is a ridge of tarmac across the pavement on the West side of Hutton Hire – towards Hendra.  John agreed to add this to his communication with highways department.

 

 

  1. Colan Churchyard:

Parishioners have reported that Colan Churchyard is not being kept well.Unfortunately the Parish do not look after this churchyard – money was left to Colan Church for the upkeep of the building and graveyard.Derek will speak to Chris McQuillen-Wright to try and resolve this.

 

  1. Play Park, Vyvan Drive

We have exhausted all our efforts to find the owners of this land.  Derek suggested that we could put some equipment there and return it to its current state should anyone claim this land in the future.  At the next meeting we will vote on this and come up ideas of what we can put there.

 

  1. Website:

No further news,

 

  1. Letters/Notices

  1. BBC have requested an interview with one of our Councillors to discuss the planning application at Prow Park for residential units.  None of the Councillors wished to get involved as our words have been misinterpreted in the past.

 

  1. Any Other Business:

Proposed pedestrian improvement works at Vyvyan Drive:  These works have been stopped for the time being and Kathy has requested a site meeting as this seems to be a different plan to the one submitted to the Parish Council. It would seem that there is going to be a traffic island in the middle of the road – this was not originally agreed.   So far there has been no response to the request for a site meeting.  A report is due by 14th September; once this is issued the Parish Council can decide if this is what is required.  John suggested we wait for the report then make our response.

Bus stops by Nansledan: Jane stated that there are now bus stops on either side of Quintrell Road which will serve Nansledan.

Speeding Issues:  John said that he has a meeting with the highways department regarding addressing the speeding issues around Quintrell Downs.  He will report the outcome to the Parish Council as soon as possible.

 

Next Meeting:

Next meeting will be held on Wednesday, 27th September. 

 

Di Willett 15/09/17

SEPTEMBER 2017

Colan Parish Council Meeting

Wednesday 27th Septemebr 2017

 

Those present: Derek Luscombe, Kathy Waters, Maurice O’Gara, Brian Killingback, Jane Coombs, Andy Ormshaw, Pat Lambshead, Louis Gardner, John Fitter, Clerk – Di Willett

Derek Luscombe was in the chair.

  1. Police Report:

The police report for 25/8/17 to 25/9/17 is attached to these minutes.This also includes a reminder to be wary of scam telephone calls and emails.

 

  1. Public Speaking:

None

 

  1. Cornwall Councillors Report:

John reminded the Council about the Community Network meeting at St Wenn on 5th October and requested that our delegate attend this meeting.

Tim Grey is no longer in charge of the Nansledan Development – John will advise the clerk of the new contact as soon as possible.

East Road Crossing – John is still awaiting a report from Cormac regarding the new road crossing on East Road.There is a suggestion that the work may slip due to this delay, however this is totally unacceptable as the slot has been booked for some time.Apparently they do not require a site meeting but are now actioning what was originally requested.

Rachel Tatlow will no longer be highways manager after the end of the month – new contact to be advised.A new board has been set up – CORSA- to which all the wholly owned Cornwall Council companies will report.

The road at Whitecross has been closed for two days due to emergency resurfacing work following the chippings being washed away from the surface and leaving it in a very dangerous condition

The pull in by the bridge at Kestle Mill has now been re-tarmaccedThere were complaints about the untidiness of the site near the surf board manufacturer – a bin is now in place to combat this.

The traffic attending the land speed record attempt will use the road to Treloy gate.

The Boundary Commission has agreed on 87 Councillors in the future – preliminary boundaries will be issued by Cornwall Council in about two weeks.

A meeting has been held regarding speeding traffic around Quintrell Downs.The average speed camera coverage will not be extended to Chapel until the new school is open.There is discussion concerning the removal of the grass verge outside the Persimmon Homes so that cars can be parked off the road.Pat commented that this would look terrible and this is not what the Duchy originally envisaged, however this is due to the lack of the NSR. West Road – we cannot have any further restriction along here and the limit will not be extended any further out of the village.East Road – nothing further will be done until the new traffic measures are in place.South Road – This has been identified during a survey as one of the three most dangerous roads in Cornwall.The police have requested a dedicated space for an observation post so that there can be regular visits to this area to monitor speed etc. - rather than waiting for a visit to be requested.A copy of the minutes of this meeting will be sent to the Clerk for distribution.

Brian asked John about the footpath at the Persimmon site which is still not in place – John agreed to chase this.

There is to be a public enquiry into the refusal of planning permission for the Fortdown site.

 

  1. Declaration of Interest:

None.

 

  1. Apologies:

Helen and Steve due to work commitments

 

  1. Minutes of previous meeting

The previous minutes were signed as a true record of events by Derek, following approval by all Councillors.

 

  1. Matters Arising:

Colan Churchyard – Derek has contacted the Vicar and has been told the contract is up for renewal in the next 2 or 3 months. Derek was asked if he had any ideas - he has agreed to put together a specification for the tender.

 

  1. Planning Applications:

PA17/08130 – East Road –new dwelling – After much discussion it was proposed that we support the idea in principle, but have concerns regarding the size of the proposed dwelling.  Pat raised a second proposal that we object to this application as he feels as well as the scale, it is far too close to the existing dwelling. After voting on the proposals, the first proposal was supported by 5 Councillors and opposed by 2 Councillors.  By a majority of 5-2 the Clerk was asked to support this application with the condition stated

PA17/07858 – Trewarne Lane – conversion of property into 5 flats.  There were concerns that this would set a precedent for other conversions, the increased traffic using Trewarne Lane and the parking.  Eventually this was supported by a 4 -2 majority.

PA17/07997 – Willow Way – sheds for equine use – Supported by all.

PA17/08359/08358/08357 – Various signage/restaurant refurbishment at MacDonalds – Supported by all.

PA17/08356 – Non food retails units west of Morrisons – landscaping etc – Supported by all with the following condition – that access is via the road between Macdonalds and Lidl.

Highways have had a requested to remove some signage at Mountjoy – for the Methodist Church and telephone kiosk.  Supported by all as these no longer exist.

 

  1. Boardmasters Aftermath:

Colan Parish Council has received a lot of letters regarding the Boardmasters event.  The main complaints are traffic management, the huge numbers of people allowed in to this event, Health and Safety issues and the lack of crowd control.

Louis had already raised the issue of signage with the organisers as this appeared to be all wrong before the event started. He was advised that all signage would be corrected before the star of the event – this was never completed and therefore traffic was being directed through Quintrell Downs. 

The camp sites were supposed to be clear by Tuesday evening, but some of them were still occupied until Friday.  It took the organisers 10 additional days to clear the sites.

There was not sufficient Police presence during his event – the organiser should have paid for additional presence.

The organisers now have indefinite permission for 50K attendance – but the planning application expires in 2019.  John stated that we can now only review the licence.

All complaints have been reported to John Fitter so that he can take them to the wash up meeting to be held on 29th October.

 

  1. Defibrillator:

No further news this month

 

  1. Accounts

NMS – Strimming areas as agreed - £120.00 – approved by all.

Clerks Salary and expenses – July – September - £616.77 – approved by all

 

Two quotations have been received from Abbey Maintenance :

Firstly to reposition and fix the play tubes into the ground - £165.00 – all accepted this quote.

The second quote if for maintenance of the benches around the Parish  - £420.   The one at Kestle Mill has been condemned, and the ones under the hedges are also beyond repair,  Derek was asked to revisit this quote and if it was less than £300.00 without these benches then he was authorised to accept it.

 

  1. Recreation Field/Hedge cutting/ Grass Cutting.

This has been done twice this month. The hedges are due to cut in October.

 

  1. Noticeboards

Nothing this month

 

  1. Allotments

Nothing this month

 

  1. Action Group for Community Funds:

It was suggested that we set up sub Committee to apply for funding from the wind farm money.  The Chairman requested that each Councillor think of an idea as to how we can help the Parishioners by using some of this funding ready for the next meeting.

 

  1. Play Park, Vyvan Drive

We could use some of our windfarm money to provide some equipment for this area.

 

  1. Pedestrain Works – Vyvyan Drive

Previously discussed

 

  1. Website:

No further news,

 

  1. Letters/Notices

  1. St Columb Major Mayor has invited the Chairman to their remembrance day service – unfortunately he is unable to attend.  Clerk to respond.

  2. Cornwall Boundary Review – CALC are to hold a meeting and have invited any Parish Councillors to attend.  The Parish Council will pay for entrance if anyone wants to go.

 

  1. Any Other Business:

Brian stated that the verges on the A392 from the Morrison’s roundabout to Trevemper have still not been trimmed properly – trees are still overhanging.John to raise with highways.

The Clerk requested permission to order a wreath for Remembrance Day – all agreed that she should do this as soon as possible.

 

Next Meeting:

Next meeting will be held on Wednesday, 25th October. 

 

Di Willett 04/10/17

© CPC by Curgenven. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Twitter Classic
  • c-facebook